The Legal Examiner Mark The Legal Examiner Mark The Legal Examiner Mark search twitter facebook feed linkedin instagram google-plus avvo phone envelope checkmark mail-reply spinner error close
Skip to main content

Reebok violated the Federal Hazardous Substance Act by not labeling a charm given away with shoes as containing potentially toxic materials. The charms contained lead which can cause brain damage and even death if ingested. Reebok agreed to pay a $1 Million fine for violating the consumer law.

A 4-year-old Minneapolis boy who swallowed the bracelet’s heart-shaped pendant died in March 2006. The pendants, made in China, were free gifts included with the purchase of children’s shoes. About 300,000 of them were sold between May 2004 and March 2006.

Per the settlement agreement Reebok did not claim they violated the law. The law was created in 1960 to protect consumers from harm. The charms containing lead were a small part of mulitple toys and children’s items recalled last year that were made in China.

Comments are closed.

Of Interest